Creating a custom POI file for Garmin
Revision as of 11:44, 14 January 2015 by Pabut
- Plot your points on Google Maps, cick the link that says "View in Google Earth" this will create a .kml file. Save the file on your PC and launch Google Earth.
- Open the .kml file you just saved. Create a new folder in my places and copy EACH point from the open KML file to the new folder.
- Right click on the new folder with all the points and click "save as". Save the file as a new .kml file. (all this is necessary because the orginal kml file you downloaded from google maps is only a link to the kml file stored on google's server)
- if you don't have it already download GPSBabel
- run your .kml file through GPSBabel with the command:
- gpsbabel -i kml -f myfile.kml -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
- Copy the resulting file to your "POI" directory
- Launch Garmin POI loader and sync your POI directory to the Garmin
- the resulting "points" will be avialable on the Garmin in "Extras -> Custom POI"